Thursday, September 18, 2014
Crafting on a Budget, and Making It Look Great!
1. Use tissue paper instead of Velum. Velum can cost over a dollar per sheet. I can get an entire package of tissue paper at the Dollar Tree, for just a dollar! I can't cut it on my machine, but it's not hard to hand cut the pieces.
2. If your decorative panels are of a heavy, sturdy card stock, use lighter cheaper paper for the base. It won't have the sturdiness you would get from a project made of all AC card stock, but no ones going to be living in it. However, if the decorative panels are of a cute paper, and not card stock, don't scrimp. (On the roof I used a sturdy purple card stock and some cute Halloween paper I bought a couple of years ago at Michaels.)
3. Skip additional embellishments. This house has so much fabulous detail, it doesn't need any embellishment. On the trim pieces I just inked and embossed.
4. Mary at SVG Cuts, put a lot of thought into this project and included lining for the interior to finish if off nicely. That's a wonderful touch, but I saved myself four pieces of paper by leaving them off.
5. Don't go cheap on glue. It is what holds your project together. I like the quick drying glue from 3M. Even though they changed the bottle and perhaps the formula, I still haven't found any I like better. It doesn't make the paper wet like some glue does. It doesn't require much to get the job done. And once it's set, it is set! (I buy it at Micheal's with a 40% off coupon)
6. I buy most of my "holiday" papers after the holiday, when it's being cleared out. So, yes, a lot of the projects I make are with last season's paper, or even several years ago. But who really knows or cares. I can get more bang for my buck by shopping clearance sales!
I realize that my tips will not change the course of crafting, but perhaps it will help a few of my fellow crafters enjoy more affordable crafting. If you have a money saving tip, why not share?
Thanks for reading and craft happy!
In the next few months I will be consolidating all my pages into one. Crafting On A Budget All the previous posts from here will still be a...
I'm really having fun spending evenings in my craft studio and thinking about what project to do next! Last night I made the birdcage f...
Well, today's project didn't turn out exactly as I had planned. I'm a visual person. So I don't alway get the end result I...
Can you believe it? It's already May! Are you scrambling for a last minute teacher appreciation gift? I got the Oracal 651 out and ...